Portfolio Update - July 2014



My main focus as a Dividend Growth Investor is the amount of Income I receive on a monthly basis. My long term goal is to receive a yield that will surpass the cost of my expenses each month. My annual overheads are currently under £10,000 per year, and my investments average over a 4% return. By using those numbers, I require £250,000 in my portfolio to cover all bills and spending money. 

I want to keep track of the value of my portfolio each month as I go through this process. It's been motivating to see the growth of my pot since I started. Recording this data has helped by raising my awareness. I now find myself eager to invest so I can report back on the progress I've made. The same benefits have come from recording my workouts, my cash savings, and more recently my income and expenditure. 

It can be difficult to keep track of how the stock market is performing as a whole. The exercise of recording the individual values results in a more well-rounded view of how everything is going. 

One of my goals for 2014 was to have a portfolio value worth £12,000. Once I made the two purchases of SSE and National Grid earlier in July, my portfolio surpassed that marker - Portfolio Goal Achieved. Rather than rest on my laurels, I decided to set myself another target of £17,500 for the end of 2014. 

I will report what my portfolio was worth at the end of every month so you can see how I'm progressing towards this goal.

The Fund total went down in value from May to June. This was down to me not investing in June, and losing substantial market price in a couple of my companies. I'm pleased to announce that the two purchases I mentioned earlier contributed to an overall increase in my portfolios worth. 

At the end of June my Freedom Pot was worth £11,833.47. When the market closed on 31 July my shares were worth £13,376.72 which is a £1,543.25 increase (13%). 

I hope July was equally positive for you. Thank you for reading! 

Labels: